A Body News, Body Justice, and Body Politics Link Roundup
Racism is killing us. It’s time to act.
- Terence Crutcher, an unarmed man with his hands up was murdered by a police officer #BlackLivesMatter
- Keith Scott Lamont a disabled man was sitting in his car reading when he was killed by police in Charlotte, North Carolina. #BlackLivesMatter
- No Criminal Charges Will be Filed Against Cops Who Killed Korryn Gaines #Sayhername
- PBS Newshour reports that when Black deaths go viral it triggers PTSD in people of color.
- Getting involved with Black Lives Matter: http://blacklivesmatter.com/getinvolved/
- Shaun King of the Daily News calls for a national boycott. “It is time that we organize a passionate, committed, economic boycott. It must be painful. It must be unified. And we must continue with it until we see change.”
- A woman is approached by an older white man in the fast food restaurant where she waits in line with her children. He says to her, “go back to your country and eat the food there.” – This is my country by Kathy Kang
- Let’s be real: Society finds Black women with curvy bodies ‘inappropriate,’ not their clothes by Preston Mitchum for The Root
- The 11th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals recently ruled against a lawsuit filed by the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission against Catastrophe Management Solutions, effectively ruling that refusing to hire someone because of their dreadlocks is legal.
- There’s a viral and ironic trend that I’ve been lately noticing in and beyond my TQPOC community: my wealthier friends own everything but their class privilege. – The Queer Poor Aesthetic by by Shak’ar Mujukian
- Archeologists denounce Dakota Access pipeline for destroying artifacts in an address to the United Nations.
- Black Lives Matter Los Angeles holds a benefit for Standing Rock Sioux Tribe and the #NoDAPL struggle. All proceeds collected will be donated to the StandingRock.org NoDAPL donations fund.