A Body News, Body Justice and Body Politics Link Roundup
- If you need help talking to your family about your partner’s pronouns, Autostraddle has you covered.
- In Limbo is a podcast on the lives of two 20 something-year-old immigrants, who survived the NYC public school system, and are now trying to live in this imperialist, capitalist, white supremacist patriarchy. Bravo!
- Both teams playing in the National Women’s Soccer League playoffs were purposefully kept in the locker room while the national anthem was played on the field. Why? To keep Seattle Reign star Megan Rapinoe from “hijacking our organization’s event” by taking a knee during the national anthem as a way to protest the state of race relations in the country.
- Standing Rock Sioux Tribe ‘disappointed’ with the court rejection of a temporary restraining order that followed the destruction of sacred burial grounds by Dakota Pipeline contractors in the #NoDAPL fight. Several Native tribes have joined the Standing Rock Sioux Reservation occupation and as community allies continue to join the struggle supplies and resources are needed! Donations to the camps are accepted here and here.
- Public health expert and award-winning activist and refugee Fadumo Dayib returns to her native Somalia as the only woman candidate to run for the 2016 presidential election in October.
- Weird Sister reflects on Black Women Artists for Black Lives Matter Pop Up at the New Museum on September 1st.
- The ongoing struggle with white feminism continues as Amy Schumer and Lena Dunham‘s racist comments and one hard won apology are trending nationally.
- Helen Razer questions whether the Lena Dunham, Taylor Swift and Gwenyth Paltrow are actually neoconservatives while Bitch reminds us not to pin our feminist hopes and dreams on celebrities and their personal branding.
- Japan will be represented at this year’s Miss World contest by a woman with a Japanese mother and Indian father after Priyanka Yoshikawa became the country’s second mixed-race contestant in a row chosen for a major international pageant.