Pregnancy, Body Image and the Age of ‘Bump Watch’

By Melanie Klein

Originally posted at Feminist Fatale. Updated for Elephant Journal and Adios Barbie.

Me in the last few weeks of my pregnancy.

I’m pregnant but I just feel fat.

I can’t believe I said it – not once, not twice but repeatedly throughout my entire pregnancy. I started to feel that way at the beginning of my first trimester and it continued all the way through week 40.  It is bad enough that the feeling reflected my own distorted body image,  but I’m not the only one. I’ve heard it from far too many other pregnant women. In fact my pregnant cousin, 27 weeks along and absolutely stunning, recently posted a comment under a belly shot on her Facebook page exclaiming, “I feel gross and funny looking.” The thread that followed included countless reassuring comments from friends insisting that she looks beautiful (and, she does) and that the weight gain is all baby.

My cousin and I are part of an increasing trend of women that bring society’s cult-of-thinness-mentality into pregnancy,  manifesting in an underlying fear of weight gain and (normal and natural) bodily changes. Instead of equating the swelling belly, rounded breasts and increased adipose tissue with hormonal changes and necessary weight gain designed to support the pregnancy, too many women just feel fat- and hate it.

The fact that the original version of this post has received read thousands upon thousands of hits, has been shared in countless pregnancy support groups, has generated a deluge of comments and emails thanking me for sharing my personal story and has been continuously read daily, despite being almost a year old, confirms the magnitude of the problem.

I had always found the pregnant form immeasurably beautiful. Radiant women with full curves and a new life growing inside left me awe-struck. I looked forward to the day that I would become pregnant and join this league of life-giving, glowing, goddess women. Within moments of receiving the results of my home pregnancy test, one of the first things that went off in my head was, “uh-oh, what about my body?” As a body image activist and individual continuously battling unrealistic images of beauty, I am embarrassed to admit that the fat fear was present almost from conception.

Yes, I had moments where I felt beautiful but I certainly didn’t embrace my fecundity and fullness in the same way I had imagined. Those “beautiful” moments were sprinkled in among a general terror over my ever-expanding body. I remember coming home crying at the end of the first trimester because I felt ugly and fat.

Reflecting on those feelings of body hatred makes me sad, sad because my beautiful son was growing inside of me. I’ve written about this subject a lot lately because it is maddening that women seem destined to carry their culturally induced body anxieties into what is an  incredible and miraculous  life experience. The tabloids ridiculous and utterly disturbing obsession with the celebrity baby-bump and the post-baby body has not helped pregnant women feel any better about the changes their body goes through. In fact, it’s just “another way to make a woman feel fat.”

To help women cope with body pressures before and after pregnancy, author Claire Mysko wrote Does This Pregnancy Make Me Look Fat? The Essential Guide to Loving Your Body Before and After Baby.

If you’re like most expectant women, you’re worried about what pregnancy and motherhood will do to your body, your sexuality, and your self-esteem (even if you don’t want to admit it out loud for fear of the Bad Mommy Police). While the journey to motherhood is truly miraculous and brings forth life, it can also bring forth a myriad of legitimate concerns.

Enter beauty activists Claire Mysko and Magali Amadei, who offer a much-needed forewarning on what to expect from your changing body, as well as a reality check for each stage of your pregnancy, exposing the myths, challenges, and insecurities you’ll face throughout pregnancy and beyond—and what to do about them.

Unfortunately, I did not find this book until well after my son was born and deep into the throes of my own body loathing. I hope all pregnant women (or soon-to-be-pregnant) will find this book and that it will assist them.

While I think this information is  incredibly helpful, it’s not enough because we’re in a ubiquitous media environment that continues to throw jabs from every angle. We need to employ active tools of media literacy to deconstruct these images as well as create and expose ourselves to new images- realistic images. That’s why I love the website, The Shape of A Mother, a website that demystifies the pregnant and postnatal form with images and stories from real mothers without the aid of computer retouching or plastic surgery.

As a first-time mother, I admit that I was clueless and surprised at the physical changes I encountered. I felt alone and disappointed that most of the physical and emotional changes I experienced were not discussed honestly and openly by other mothers. I felt like I was thrown into the jungle without the adequate provisions and tools to emerge successfully. We need less stories about women like Ellen Pompeo (who went up to-gasp-size 26  jeans during pregnancy), Gisele Bundchen , Nicole Richie (“svelte after one week!”)  or countless other celebs and more stories about average women who are pregnant but just feel fat. Maybe if we have more people discussing these issues candidly we can avoid more women spending their pregnancy obsessing over their inevitable expansion and being present to the miraculous process they are engaging in.

Now that would be beautiful.

Other Pregnancy Related Posts on Adios Barbie:

Newest Diet Fad Offers False Positive

The Skinny on Pregnancy Weight Gain

What’s Up with the Super Skinny Demonic Pregnancy in “Breaking Dawn”?

“Pregorexia”: Are Celebrities Really to Blame?

Comments

1. Elyzabeth A says:

I know several people that have also told me that they hate the way they look while they are pregnant. In other words, they feel extremely fat during their pregnancy. I just look at them and say, “What do you expect when a baby is being developed inside you to be skinny or what?” Now I think of this and realize that perhaps I was a little harsh on my friends and sister-in-law. I now start realizing that sometimes it’s not their fault that they feel how they feel. They are not really aware on what to really expect when they are pregnant and also because all the trash that it’s being thrown at images of pregnant women. As a result, I will, perhaps suffer the same issue as my friends did. I will also feel very fat, but thanks to this linked/blog I got a hold of a book that I will sure read if I ever become pregnant. Not only will I have access to this book, but I will recommend it to friends that are pregnant to read it. Nonetheless, every time I see a pregnant woman, my heart feels with joy. Even though I may not know the person, there is something inside me that brightness my day. I feel happy for her and start wondering how it really feels to have a human inside you growing and waiting to pop out and meet you. I start wondering on when it will be my turn? On how will I feel? The only answer that I can come up with is just to wait and feel it and see it for myself.

2. Dylan B says:

I have always thought that women who are pregnant look so gorgeous and have a sort of sexiness to them also. Although I am only 21, I have always dreamed of the day that I have my first child and the overall experience I will go through! Weight gain has gone through my mind when thinking of this, but not too much because it is not something that I expect to happen any time soon, but after reading this, how I will probably feel and act was made more aware to me. I think that pregnancy is a beautiful thing and I hope that I will be able to experience it and enjoy every moment of the process to the fullest! I love that I am learning about more and more women’s issues that will stay with me throughout my life and I can take advantage of in the future.

3. Nicole D says:

This is interesting for me to read because I was recently thinking about what would happen to my body when I get pregnant. I have years until I need to worry about this, but I am already afraid of gaining all the weight from my future pregnancies. I should not be scared to gain weight when the outcome is a baby, which I definitely do want someday. I am relieved to know that I am not the only person who feels this way, and that there are many women who worry about gaining weight during pregnancy. Women need to realize that this is natural, and that the celebrities to have claimed to only going up to jean size 26, or who look skinny one week after giving birth, are not the norm for pregnancy. Media literacy is important in getting women to realize that they are not fat when they are pregnant, and that celebrities are not in fact that skinny a week after giving birth. I hope pregnant women will see this post to help them.

4. I completely agree with this post! My cousins had even stopped going in public near the last two months of their pregnancy because they felt they looked less pregnant and fatter. We tried to tell them otherwise, but this mentality was glued into them, even though they didn’t want to feel this way. When my mom was pregnant with me, people could barely tell she was pregnant (I was a small baby!), but by the time my brother came around my mom thought that something was wrong with her body. Even now after 18 years, my mom hasn’t been able to regain the figure she had when she first had me. Sometimes as a joke, I play with her and ask her how long she’s due because of her pot belly – but all of this basically shows the underlying problem of associating one of life’s greatest miracles to society’s perception of beauty.

5. The fact that the media derides on pregnant woman is absolutely disgusting. Being pregnant is a miracle and it is one of the most beautiful things of life, if not the most beautiful. No pregnant woman is “fat” and even if you were severally overweight your body would not be healthy enough to make a baby so in essence there is no such thing as a “fat” pregnant woman. Also, it is wrong how the media criticizes a woman after having her baby about how she looks. All pregnant women are beautiful to me. I agree on Ms. Klien’s statement that, “We need to employ active tools of media literacy to deconstruct these images as well as create and expose ourselves to new images- realistic images”. This is exactly what needs to happen in our society.

6. Amber S. says:

I can completely understand how you felt. I felt fat during my pregnancy too. I actually exercised almost every day. I remember the day I had went into labor, I had a huge contraction when I was on my daily walk. Though at the time I did not know it was a contraction. I definitely don’t think it helps that the media is crazy over “baby bumps.” I had gained the correct amount of weight too but still felt fat. It’s really sad that the media can have such profound effects on us.

7. Soraya L. says:

I admire the fact that even through your background, you are still able to openly admit your insecurities and your feelings about pregnancy. The honesty makes you human, and it helps one relate to you more. Though you are a feminist, and are actively involved in promoting self-love, a woman’s beauty, and other empowering concepts, there are still moments where not everyone feels at their best. However, despite the thoughts that were on your mind during your pregnancy, there is no doubt that you were a beautiful pregnant woman, and that the feeling of being fat and ugly was probably partially due to the fact that your body was not used to the natural changes going on, and it may have caused feelings of discomfort. Also, it does not help that magazines are constantly promoting pregnant celebrities that are “thin” and that get back in shape merely a few weeks after birth. It instills to women the idea that even after pregnancy, one should always be thin because thinness defines beauty. But in reality, the beauty of life is far more valuable and beautiful than any other thin photoshopped woman on a magazine. Though you had these negative feelings toward yourself, the fact that you openly talked about it and recognized it is something I applaud you for because it helps so many women relate to you, so they know they are not alone.

8. Anndrea A says:

Forgive me if this comment sounds naive, I have never been pregnant. Yet I both gravely fear and anxiously await the day I do (if I do). I cannot wait for it because for once in my life, I will be able to eat whatever I want, as much as I want and actually have an excuse for it. Yet at the same time, I feel I may begin to feel the most depressed and self conscious I will have ever felt, because I did eat whatever I wanted, and as much as I wanted. I think this is one of those scenarios you cannot really relate to until you’ve actually experienced it first hand, but its an interesting thing to think about and perspective to consider.

9. Berenice V says:

I have never been pregnant, but like you mentioned pregnant women are radiant and should embrace their pregnancy rather than fearing their bodies. One should consider that as their ever expanding stomach grows, so does life, which in my opinion is life’s greatest gift. While reading your article I couldn’t help but think of my selfishness because i complain whenever I gain weight, so gaining weight would take its toll on me and although pregnancy is beautiful it definitely requires patience one must be prepared mentally and physically. Pregnancy seems like an overwhelming experience, but with the right mentality it could turn out to be a wonderful experience. Pregnant women should enjoy being pregnant and stop trying to abide to societies alleged beauty because in doing so they are only hurting their self-esteem. Rather than complaining or feeling depressed on how one’s body is changing, pregnant women should satisfy all their cravings and if their body image is such a big deal they should practice yoga, which I hear eases and helps when delivering the baby. I have heard from some of my close friends that even though one becomes a bit hormonal and is constantly uncomfortable due to the weight gaining, being pregnant gives you a glowing look, the sex is interesting and your hair and skin get revitalized. Pregnancy should be a wonderful experience and society should embrace it by showing it’s perks and not ruin this with the notion of calling pregnant women fat or ugly.

10. This article is another one that is a wakeup call for me. My boyfriend and I have been together for over two years. We have a very happy relationship and he is my best friend and love of my life. We are talking about marriage and children. And we are assuming we will get married in a couple years and then have children in maybe five or six years. I have always wanted children and I love children. My little sister is 11 so I experienced my step mom’s pregnancy and helped raise my little sister. But I have always feared what pregnancy will do to my body and how I can change it back after children. It is scary to think of having a stretched out vagina, breast, and stomach. As well as the weight gain and stretch marks. I have a friend who just had a baby a few weeks ago and she already looks amazing! She is only 22 though. It almost influences me to have kids at a younger age so that it will be easier to get my body back. But these changes are all a part of life and something I will have to accept. I can try to be as healthy as possible and work out in ways that I can during pregnancy, but I need to accept what is going to happen to my body. This article is a great reminder that these changes are normal and that it happens to everyone. I know my mom had a tummy tuck after she had me. Different women choose to handle the situation differently. I just want to have healthy children, and then I will worry about how to get in shape. I think this article reminds women that they need to love their bodies and what they are doing. Creating life and that is beautiful. Women are allowed to hire personal trainers and get tummy tucks if they want, but they should never hate their bodies or how they have changed. It is a wonder of nature and should be valued. The workouts can come later, but love you. And I also liked the website, The Shape of a Mother. Some of the photos horrified me a little of what is to come, but I also had the realization that it happens to everyone. You cannot fight it so embrace it and love yourself.

11. Sophia S. says:

I have always found pregnant women to be beautiful. The way a woman’s body changes in order to bring new life into this world is not only beautiful, but magical. While I don’t plan on having any children for many years, I still look forward to the day when I can be one of those goddesses. While looking at it from the outside, I know it’s a much different story to be looking from the inside. While there are constant pressures from society to be thin, pregnancy is not a time when it is fully excluded. Nowadays we see celebrities bounce back just 6 months after giving birth. It’s important to realize that these celebrities also have teams of nannies, dieticians, and personal trainers to get them back on track. Giving birth is a beautiful thing, embrace it and embrace the body that made it happen.

12. Brittany P says:

One thing that you touched upon that I think is wonderful is how media obsesses with at first the baby bump and then as soon as they have the baby they have to post pictures of how they look after. They a lot of the times have interviews with the new mothers and ask what they do to get back in shape. This is terrible for mothers everywhere. They see these famous mothers who look fabulous a couple weeks after having a baby and it makes other women feel terrible. I remember my mom was watching something on TV about a woman who just had a baby and she was saying how easy it was to get back she into shape so fast. She worked out every day with a personal trainer and hired a healthy cook. My mom was practically yelling at the TV screaming “I would be in shape too if I could afford all that and if I had a nanny that would raise my baby!” She was so mad because my mom understands how unrealistic it is to be “perfect” after having babies. I have never been pregnant but when I think about it, it’s not about how wonderful it would be to have a life within me I think about the possibility of getting stretch marks and which ointment I should use to minimize them. I understand that this is a terrible thought but by reading this article I now understand that my thoughts need to change. When I plan on having a baby I will definitely look into the book suggested so I can embrace my pregnancy instead of feeling fat and ugly.

13. Debora G says:

Pregnancy is one of the most beautiful things in this world. I personally have not been pregnant but I do know a few women that have expressed these feelings before. My two sisters have gone through the pregnancy experience and their biggest concern was how their bodies would look after the baby. My older sister had difficulties coping with her body; she was curvy before the pregnancy but notice the baby bump stating to show she felt ugly and disfigured. The experience women use to have with pregnancy is no longer their women hating their bodies and many go through extreme measure to keep their thin bodies. The media sure does not help because they show celebrates that had their babies a week ago and their bodies look like they never had a body. Women have multiple roles in society, which include mother, wives, working women, and domestic women. These roles often overlap and it is clear why “real” women bodies do not go back to normal right away. Being pregnant use to mean you were a goddess, a creator of life instead more and more women fear pregnancy because their bodies will never look the same. This idea has come to mine before; I get scared that someday I might be going through this experience. I often catch myself saying that I might never have kids because all they do is ruin your body. Although this process is part of life society looks down on pregnant women. They are seen as weak and inferior, which makes no sense because it used to be something that was valued and respected. Media has a distorted image on how pregnant women should look.

14. Sonia B. says:

I have not been pregnant before but mostly every woman I know has been. I honestly can’t say that I have heard any of them say that they just feel fat. I think that it is sad though that women worry about their wight and appearance instead of being happy that they have the chance to be a mother, since not all women can. I know that whenever I get pregnant, this thought will probably cross my mind at some point but I hope that it does not take over the joy of being pregnant. I do think that since the media is such a huge influence in our daily lives, we should have celebrities talking about their physical issues and pregnancy. Now that Beyonce had her baby, she is all over the magazines sowing her after baby body. I think that it is insane that even new mothers have to worry about their appearance instead of enjoying their baby. Women have to understand that celebrities lose weight so they won’t lose their job and they have personal trainers helping them every dingle day. Pregnancy should be harmonious and the last thing women should worry about is feeling fat because they are going to gain weight regardless.

15. Wesley L. says:

What society thinks when they see a pregnant women: “wow she is fat” “I wonder if she is having twins or triplets” “she is going to have a hard time loosing that weight” “I feel bad for the husband” “She needs to eat less” “I hope I don’t look like that when/if I get pregnant” “my wife better not look like that.” A lot of these thoughts is what people first think when they see a pregnant women, and yet they still don’t even acknowledge that she is carrying life insider her. Society makes it hard for pregnant women to skate by during their later weeks when they are at they max weight, due to the baby. Every guy I talk to says they are happy girls carry that burden because they wouldn’t want to be that huge walking around public. When women do get pregnant you hear they talk about their weight more than about their actual health and the health of their baby. The reason for this is “society” which makes life in general difficult. We have to conform to what society says is correct and acceptable. So society depicts a pregnant women as being super skinny in the limbs, with perfect breast, no facial fat, or blemishes, and with a perfect basketball size belly with smooth flawless skin. Therefore most pregnant woman use that image as a normal pregnancy and internalize that image/belief as correct and socially acceptable. We hardly see the real normal looking pregnant woman in magazines or on tv, instead we see a fake or rare image of what society sees as correct. Everyone needs to accept themselves for what they are and to only act in ways that will make themselves happy and not conform to the false belief of society.

16. Jon K. says:

I find it very heartbreaking that even pregnant women get bombarded with the idea that being thin is such an essential concept in their lives. It isn’t enough that non-pregnant women are stressed to having a certain body image that now the media and people have affected them so much that even when pregnant they have to maintain that unhealthy mindset. Pregnant women are naturally going to gain weight, not because they are over-eating or getting fat but because they are PREGNANT and need changes to occur to be able to support the baby full term. It is very true that the media constantly points out how pregnant celebrities look in clothes and how they look after they have given birth. One of my cousin, unfortunately, had this mindset while she was pregnant and couldn’t seem to shake off the idea of how “terrible” her pregnancy would be because of what it would do to her body. It only adds to the already visible idea that women should be “5’7″, weigh 120 pounds, and be sexy 24/7″ that affects not even just women but young girls as well. How badly will this affect young girls on their views of pregnancy when they are constantly shown and told what they should look like by the media? Will they ever even consider getting pregnant because of the fears that revolve around natural weight gain and changes in their bodies? It’s something that women and people in general need to support – the fact that a pregnant woman will go through body changes and that it is something beautiful and natural, and not to be tempered on the ideas that being thin 100% of the time is the only way to be even in such situations. Pregnant equals beautiful, no matter the body type and type of woman.

17. Chynnassa E says:

It is very sad how women have the mindset that they are fat when they are pregnant. Pregnancy is suppose to be filled with happiness and excitement, but instead, women talk about feeling fat. I honestly think that it is a subliminal thing. As the article stated, we have the media showing us these celebs bouncing right back to their slim figures in a matter of a few months. And even my mother has told me to stay in good shape now so that when I become pregnant, I won’t be huge after the baby is born. I know that she doesn’t mean any harm by it, but weight somehow always seems to be a factor in some way with society. I do not have any kids now, but reading this article helps me to prepare and gives me a different mindset for when I do become pregnant. Well written and very insightful.

18. Holly A. says:

What an interesting post. I really enjoyed this article. I think because women have been socialized to think “skinny”, pregnant or not, they will always have that fat fear. To me pregnancy is SUCH a beautiful part of life. When I see a pregnant woman I can’t help but just stare at her, not because she is large and pregnant, but because pregnant women are so radiant and beautiful. I had a talk with my sister the other day about having kids. (I myself am counting down the days until I have children. The miracle of life is just so beautiful). My sister told me that she is considering not having kids. I immediately attacked her with “WHY?”. She replied by saying “I worked hard to get to his weight, and I’m not going to ruin it by getting pregnant”. IN-SANE. I think it is absurd that media the media takes away attention from how beautiful pregnancy is and focuses on how women get LARGER. Is being skinny more important that bringing life into this world? Once again, pregnancy is beautiful. No matter how small or large a baby bump is, it is absolutely stunning.

19. M.R.Salvat says:

During my brief and only one pregnancy (three and a half months) I made some very interesting discoveries. I did feel fatter but I was completely alright with it. As long as I can remember, controlling my weight and what I ate has been a concern of mine. This time, however, although my body began to show the hormonal changes typical of an early pregnancy, I felt comfortable in a new self. In fact, I welcomed eating when I was hungry, wearing baggy clothes around my waist and not being overly concerned about showing a belly. Even a girlfriend of mine (who did not know I was pregnant) made observations such as “getting a little plumber, aren’t you?” and I was still fine.

Yes, being pregnant made me aware of what Melanie Klein calls “an underlying fear of weight gain” and it made me realize how so many women live day after day with a mental restrain about our own bodies. It is an overwhelming reality in our society.
    Being pregnant made me feel “beautiful” and at peace with myself (and my physical appearance). It felt as if something greater took over my mind and let me “live” just as I am. I also remember feeling a new sense of clarity and groundlessness within –I did feel like a “goddess”, or close to it.
    Since then, I have gained a more realistic sense of my body and how beauty is “understood” in the society I live in. Although I continue to watch my weight and what I eat, I do so for health reasons not as a slave of my own distorted thinking.
    Women must watch very carefully what we see in the media because it prays on us “from every angle” if we are to deconstruct sexist images and create new images that are realistic and embrace our humanity.

20. Kaitlin V says:

This makes me so sad for pregnant women. In what is supposed to be the most special time in your life, you are criticized for gaining too much weight, having too many stretch marks, or eating too much. It’s supposed to be about the person growing inside of you and that bond you are building. It should be about reading pregnancy books or getting tips from families, buying cute new clothes for your child, and getting excited for the chance to be a mother. It should not be about being unhappy in your own skin. For women, we have it so hard to go back to our original (or better!) bodies directly after childbirth. Instead of enjoying motherhood, you are expected to go back to a size 3. It is unfortunate that we are given these unrealistic expectations. Because of hormones raging through, it may not be possible and society should just have to deal with that.

21. Eternity Holloway says:

I think being pregnant is a wonderful thing, but the horrible weight gain is so damn frustrating and losing the weight afterwards is exhausting and most of the time it won’t come off. I’ve had trouble getting ride of the weight gain through 2 pregnancies and numerous birth control methods and to no vail have I succeeded. I didn’t glow I was sick through my whole to pregnancies and had to be bed ridden due to complications. If I could get pregnant again I wouldn’t just for the fact I don’t want to gain anymore weight. I’ve seen some beautiful women and they look great pregnant or some can lose the weight right after the pregnancy. To all moms I’m with you in your frustration. Good luck to all.

22. Angelica E. says:

I have never been pregnant. When I think about pregnancy I think about being fat, but I don’t care about getting fat during pregnancy, but being fat after. I think pregnancy is a beautiful thing for mothers even though they gain weight. But really that is all I worry about being fat I feel as if I were to be pregnant after giving birth and having stretch marks, the after math of pregnancy does not seem beautiful. I feel as if I would never be able to get my body back into the shape I was before getting pregnant. At times I think to myself how can I feel this way if my mother got fat for me and was fat after I was born and I have never heard her complain about gaining weight will being pregnant. I think most women are afraid to get fat and often I hear some say that they don’t want to have kids because they don’t want to be fat. Gaining weight should not stop anyone from conceiving a baby, because for mothers having a baby is such a precious gift.

23. Maira Pacheco says:

I myself have no kids and I am not sure if I ever plan to have kids. I do love kids but I feel that kids are a lot of responsibility. My sister has a five year old daughter and when she was pregnant I was able to see her happiness through her eyes. My grandmother also believed that her eyes changed through her pregnancy. My sister gained a lot of weight while she was pregnant. At that time my sister did not feel that she was fat but often people would tell her you’re big but she would not take it personal. She was much younger and she didn’t think anything of it, she thought it was normal. I myself would see her get bigger but I did not tell her anything because she was pregnant. My sister gained a lot of weight. After she had her daughter she then lost all her weight and she looked good. She just got pregnant and she is 14 weeks. I see her being very self-conscious of her weight and what she consumes. She is always saying she is fat and she is very insecure. I also notice that this time around my sister is scared of gaining weight. I think whether a woman gets fat or not a kid is a beautiful thing and women should accept their body while their pregnancy.

24. Kayla Ainsworth says:

Every time I think of a pregnancy I think of will I be fat after the baby is born, how can I get my figure back. I want 3-4 children as well, so I am scared to not to be how I am today toned and comfortable in my body. I always worry about being that mother that let herself go, just gave up on looking nice or always working then slaving in the kitchen to make that perfect meal. After reading this article, I don’t think I should stress it as much, 1. I am not worried about having any children as of now, 2. I would rather enjoy the moment of carrying something so precious, than to worry about a little weight gain.

25. Analila B. says:

It is unfortunate that mothers are not able to enjoy there pregnancy because they feel “fat” instead of enjoying the moment. The media has a lot to do with this because they show all the celebrities looking beautiful and amazing during there pregnancies. Then, after they have the baby not even a month later they are back to their original weight and look amazing. However, it is not realistic and this increases the pressure on a real woman to lose weight after the birth of their child. Several of my friends that have had children are always paranoid about the weight and what they eat. For example, one of them used to put coco butter on like five times a day; you could smell the coco butter from a distant, that’s how much she would us. It is good that she took care of her self but she took it to an extreme. She was obsess with it just because she did not want a stretch mark, she would she every morning. I do not think that she fully enjoyed her pregnancy she was more worried about her image, which we can not blame her for do to our society. On the other hand, my sister in law just recently had my baby niece and during the pregnancy she always talked about how big she was. After, she gave birth to my niece she has been going through a depression do to her body weight. Since I am close to her my brother has asked me to help her by taking her to yoga with me. She actually loved it and started to feel better about herself and she even started to work out. I never imagine that someone could go through depression after giving birth to a precious baby. I had heard of it but I had never experienced it, but I been through it with my in law. Now after eight months she is feeling better and she has started to lose some weight by working out and eating healthy. I do think that the pressure of the media plays a huge roll on the emotional status of a soon to be mom or a mother.

Trackbacks

1. […] celebrity (Reese Witherspoon) who is currently under a Bump watch. As Melanie Klein states over at Adios Barbie “the tabloids ridiculous and utterly disturbing obsession with the celebrity baby-bump … […]

2. […] Pregnancy, Body Image,  and the Age of Bump Watch. @adiosbarbie. ahhhh, feel fat during pregnancy? too scared to mention that? well, Pia talks about it, but also makes mention of bump watch in tabloid magazines and the sorts of articles that are run about pregnant celebrities – which regular readers will know is something I am passionate about following. The comments are worth reading in this as well. […]