Six-Month Internship with Adios Barbie
Positions Available: 4
Adios, Barbie: The One Stop Body Image Shop for Identity Issues including Size, Race, Media, and More! Since the dawn of the world wide web (or at least since 1998), AdiosBarbie.com has been the only site whose mission is to broaden the concept of body image to include people of all races, ages, cultures, genders, abilities, sexual orientations, and sizes.
Adios Barbie seeks diversity – not only in content, but also in our team. Thus, we want folks of all backgrounds and experiences to apply. We believe feminism is for everyone and urge folks who are a stand for or are feminists of color to apply as well.
This groundbreaking movement is seeking enthusiastic, change-minded people to join in on the body-positive revolution. Four, six-month internships are currently available with the possibility of advancement to a permanent role with the team at their completion.
We are looking for interns in three different fields: Writing/Publishing, PR/Social Media, and Advertising/Marketing. Please see below for the duties and responsibilities required of each position.
Want to intern with Adios Barbie, but feel that you have a different skill set? Send us a pitch! Let us know how you can help, and we’ll consider your idea!
Writing and Publishing
- Note: Two positions available
- Research and develop content
- Obtain web content in various formats (print, podcast, videos, etc.) for sharing and publication
- Write one original piece (journalistic article, commentary, media analysis etc.) per month
- Have interest and experience in the field of their internship
Public Relations and Social Media
- Note: One position available
- Increase the visibility and impact of the organization
- Maintain and develop media lists, press releases, and basic PR functions
- Promote Adios Barbie using social media tools, such as Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Tumblr
- Communicate and interact with the public via social media
- Familiarity with WordPress, basic html, and google analytics a plus
Advertising and Marketing
- Note: One position available
- Assist in fundraising
- Perform administrative and editing tasks for Adios Barbie
- Create and promote Kickstarters or other fundraising campaigns
- Help to create advertising strategies – both to bring advertisers to the site and to spread the word about Adios Barbie
- Familiarity with Photoshop and design a plus
Ideal Candidate Characteristics
We are actively seeking candidates who are:
- Sensitive and compassionate with a working knowledge of the following issues and how they intersect: media literacy, race, gender, age, identity, size, ability, and body image
- Driven by a strong work ethic and the ability to take initiative needing limited supervision
- Team players who are open to collaboration
The internships are virtual positions; thus, applicants must have reliable high-speed Internet connections and be skilled and responsible regarding electronic communication. Since the positions are remote, anyone anywhere in the world can apply.
Adios Barbie is run entirely by volunteers. As such, these internships are unpaid.
The time required is negotiable. However, interns should expect to devote an average of ten hours per week to their projects.
How to Apply
Applicants must submit:
- A resume
- A letter of interest, including how both you and the organization can benefit from this collaboration
- A writing sample of 300-800 words on a topic relevant to the work of Adios Barbie
Applicants are encouraged (but in no way required) to submit:
- Examples of previous related work
- Links to blogs or other portfolios
- Letters of recommendation
- List of relevant coursework
Interviews will be held via Skype.
Deadline for applications
Monday, February 17, 2014
Send applications and questions to
Pia Guerrero, Founder/Editor