Six-Month Internship with Adios Barbie
Positions Available: 4
Adios, Barbie: The One Stop Body Image Shop for Identity Issues Including Size, Race, Media, and More! Since the dawn of the world wide web (or at least since 1998), AdiosBarbie.com has been the only site whose mission is to broaden the concept of body image to include people of all races, ages, cultures, genders, abilities, sexual orientations, and sizes.
We’re seeking enthusiastic, change-minded people to join in on the body-confidence revolution. Four six-month internships are currently available, with the possibility of advancement to a permanent role upon completion. Average time requirement is 10 hours per week.
We are looking for interns in three different fields: Writing/Publishing, Social Media, and Outreach/Partnership Development. Please see below for the duties and responsibilities required of each position.
Interns are the heart of Adios Barbie and have developed much of what you see on Adios today. They also have stayed with us after their internships to serve as contributors and as part of our leadership team. Past interns have gone to work with or write for Everyday Feminism, Feministing, the Huffington Post, Latina, the New York Times, Cosmo, and The Sadie Nash Leadership Project, among others.
Adios Barbie seeks diversity — not only in content, but also in our team. Thus, we want folks of all backgrounds and experiences to apply. We believe feminism is for everyone and urge all folks who believe in feminism to apply — and that includes everyone.
Want to intern with Adios Barbie, but feel that you have a different skill set? Send us a pitch! Let us know how you can help, and we’ll consider your idea.
Writing and Publishing
Are you a writer who wants to change the world through words? This is a wonderful opportunity to get your voice out there and learn about web publishing. You will be personally mentored by the Adios Barbie editorial team to bring your ideas into the world.
Writing and publishing interns will:
- Write at least one original piece (journalistic article, commentary, media analysis, etc.) per month, with guidance from our editorial team.
- Research and develop content for our website.
- Obtain web content in various formats (print, podcast, videos, etc.) for sharing and publication.
- Assist in social media maintenance and posting.
Note: Two positions available.
Do you love being online and connecting with people? Are you into everything social media? Join us as a social media intern and learn the ins and outs of social networking and activism.
Social media interns will:
- Manage Adios Barbie’s social media profiles on Facebook and Twitter, with the possibility for expansion into Pinterest, Instagram, Tumblr, etc.
- Assist in the coordination of Twitter parties, activism campaigns, and other social media special events.
- Communicate and interact with the public via social media (moderating comments, responding to DMs, etc.).
- Assist in website tasks as necessary — prior experience with WordPress, basic HTML, and Google Analytics is a plus.
Note: One position available.
Outreach and Marketing
Are you an outgoing activist who loves connecting and sharing ideas with other folks? Are you excited to turn plans and ideas into real-time change? Then you’re the perfect fit for our outreach and marketing intern.
Outreach and marketing interns will:
- Increase the visibility and impact of the work at Adios Barbie.
- Brainstorm and create partnerships with other activists and allies; develop and maintain contact lists.
- Create and promote fundraising campaigns to expand our reach and influence.
- Help to create advertising strategies, both to bring advertisers to the site and to spread the word about Adios Barbie.
- Develop marketing materials, graphics, and strategic plans — familiarity with Photoshop and graphic design is a plus.
Note: One position available.
Ideal Candidate Characteristics
Wondering if you’ll be a good fit? We are actively seeking candidates who are:
- Sensitive and compassionate, with a working knowledge of the following issues and how they intersect: media literacy, race, gender, age, identity, size, ability, and body image.
- Driven by a strong work ethic and the ability to take initiative.
- Self-starters requiring limited supervision.
- Team players who are open to collaboration.
- People who like to have fun and know how to tell a good bad joke.
Internships with Adios Barbie are virtual positions. Thus, applicants must have reliable high-speed Internet connections and be skilled and responsible regarding electronic communication. Since the positions are remote, anyone anywhere in the world can apply.
Adios Barbie is run entirely by volunteers, up to and including the leadership board. As such, these internships are unpaid.
The time required is negotiable. However, interns should expect to devote an average of ten hours per week to their projects.
How to Apply
In order to be considered for an internship, applicants must submit:
- A resume
- A letter of interest, including how both you and the organization can benefit from this collaboration
- A writing sample of 300–800 words on a topic relevant to the work of Adios Barbie
Applicants are encouraged (but in no way required) to submit:
- Examples of previous related work
- Links to blogs or other portfolios
- Letters of recommendation
- List of relevant coursework
Interviews will be held via Skype.
Deadline for Application
We are currently accepting application for our spring internships (May–October). Deadline is Monday, April 20, 2015.
Send Applications and Questions to:
Pia Guerrero, Founder / Editor