Six-Month Internship with Adios Barbie
Positions Available: 3
Adios, Barbie: The One Stop Body Image Shop for Identity Issues including Size, Race, Media, and More! Since the dawn of the world wide web (or at least since 1998), AdiosBarbie.com has been the only site whose mission is to broaden the concept of body image to include people of all races, ages, cultures, genders, abilities, sexual orientations, and sizes.
Adios Barbie seeks diversity – not only in content, but also in our team. Thus, we want folks of all backgrounds and experiences to apply. We believe feminism is for everyone and urge folks who are a stand for or are feminists of color to apply as well–yes, men can apply.
This groundbreaking movement is seeking enthusiastic, change-minded people to join in on the body-confidence revolution. Four, six-month internships are currently available with the possibility of advancement to a permanent role with the team at their completion. Minimum requirement of time is 8 hours a week.
We are looking for interns in three different fields: Writing/Publishing, Social Media, and Outreach/Partnership Development. Please see below for the duties and responsibilities required of each position.
You will be leading with the rest of our team through your ideas and interest. Interns are the heart of AB, having developed nuch of what you see on Adios today. They also have stayed with us after their internships to serve as part of our leadershship team and as contributors. Past interns have gone to work with or write for Everyday Feminism, Feministing, Huffington Post, NYTimes, Cosmo, The Sadie Nash Leadership Project, among others.
Want to intern with Adios Barbie, but feel that you have a different skill set? Send us a pitch! Let us know how you can help, and we’ll consider your idea!
Writing and Publishing
Are you a writer who wants to change the world through words? This is a wonderful opportunity to get your voice out there and learn about web publishing. Additionally you will be personally mentored by our editors, including Pia, adios barbie founder.
- Note: Two positions available
- Research and develop content for our website and for our Tumblr page.
- Obtain web content in various formats (print, podcast, videos, etc.) for sharing and publication
- Write at least one original piece (journalistic article, commentary, media analysis etc.) per month
- Disseminate daily posts through social media outlets.
Do you love being online and connecting with people? Are you into everything that is social media?
- Note: One position available
- Coordinate Twitter parties and promote our activism campaigns
- Use social media tools such as Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram, and Tumblr
- Communicate and interact with the public via social media
- Familiarity with WordPress, basic html, and google analytics a plus
Outreach and Marketing
Are you outgoing and love connecting with folks? Excited to share ideas and make them happen with others?
- Note: One position available
- Increase the visibility and impact of our work
- Brainstorm and create partnerships with other activists and allies; develop and maintain contact lists
- Create and promote Kickstarters or other fundraising campaigns; help set up online store
- Help to create advertising strategies – both to bring advertisers to the site and to spread the word about Adios Barbie
- Familiarity with Photoshop and design a plus
Ideal Candidate Characteristics
We are actively seeking candidates who are:
- Sensitive and compassionate with a working knowledge of the following issues and how they intersect: media literacy, race, gender, age, identity, size, ability, and body image
- Driven by a strong work ethic and the ability to take initiative needing limited supervision
- Team players who are open to collaboration
- People who like to have fun and know how to tell a good bad joke.
The internships are virtual positions; thus, applicants must have reliable high-speed Internet connections and be skilled and responsible regarding electronic communication. Since the positions are remote, anyone anywhere in the world can apply.
Adios Barbie is run entirely by volunteers. As such, these internships are unpaid.
The time required is negotiable. However, interns should expect to devote an average of ten hours per week to their projects.
How to Apply
Applicants must submit:
- A resume
- A letter of interest, including how both you and the organization can benefit from this collaboration
- A writing sample of 300-800 words on a topic relevant to the work of Adios Barbie
Applicants are encouraged (but in no way required) to submit:
- Examples of previous related work
- Links to blogs or other portfolios
- Letters of recommendation
- List of relevant coursework
Interviews will be held via Skype.
Deadline for applications
Monday, February 17, 2014
Send applications and questions to
Pia Guerrero, Founder/Editor