A Body News, Body Justice, and Body Politics Link Roundup
— Vanessa Friedman (@VVFriedman) September 10, 2016
- Spokane just changed Columbus Day to Indigenous Peoples’ Day. The Spokane City Council voted to approve the referendum on Monday evening, August 29, following the lead of cities like Seattle and Minneapolis.
- Dozens of students are protesting thier Florida High School demanding they not wear African Headwraps. On social media share photos of you in a headwrap or dashiki with the hashtag #blackgirlswrapwednesday to support the cause!
- Chelsea Manning’s five-day hunger strike is over as the Army reportedly tells her she can access gender confirmation surgery
- “Unless, you’re getting paid to rehabilitate racist, sexist, homophobic, weirdos on the internet you don’t owe trolls your energy, emotions, and mental stamina. In 2016 hit the block/mute button: it’s self-care.” – Learning to Love the Block Button by Shanice Brim for Blavity
- Rest in Peace T.T. #Sayhername Another transwoman’s life is gone at the hands of brutality. Let’s work towards a peaceful life for our trans siblings peace while they are living.
- Foz Meadows talks about identity and narrative in a brilliant response to Lionel Shriver’s recent keynote speech which identified cultural appropriation as a passing fad at the Brisbane Writers Festival.
- Wishing I lived in Chicago: Latino Horror to get Center Stage at Chicago’s Cine-Iconoclasta
- Kelly Hayes explains What You Need to Know About #NoDAPL and Why It Isn’t Over for Black Girl Dangerous
- Obama’s Female Staffers Came Up With a Genius Strategy to Make Sure Their Voices Were Heard. Now if every marginalized person everywhere can adapt it.